Monday 5 November 2012

October '12 Favourites...


Hi,

Ok so it's the start of November (jeez this year has flown by so quickly, hasn't it?) so it's time to look back on my favourite products/things of the month. Firstly, I would just like to say I know some of the photos in this post aren't the best but I only took them quickly on my phone so hopefully they do the job alright! Also, where possible I've included links to each of the products online :)

The Body Shop Born Lippy Stick Lip Balm
(L-R: Toffee, Lychee Shimmer, Plum, Pomegranate)
(L-R: Toffee, Lychee Shimmer, Plum, Pomegranate)
(Top to Bottom: Toffee, Lychee Shimmer, Plum, Pomegranate)
 I'm a sucker for anything lip balm related because I can rarely find any that I really like or (more often than not) I have so many on the go at once that others get forgotten. I'd always liked the potted versions of these lip balms but sometimes they can be a bit messy and it can be off putting to use potted lip balms when you can't be sure your hands are clean, so when I saw these on The Body Shop website I thought I would give them a try. As you can probably gather by the fact I now have four different flavours, I loved them! They are very moisturising and you can feel them on your lips for quite a long time which I like. They have a slight tint to them, except for the Lychee one which is clear with subtle shimmer in it which I would have to say is my favourite because you don't have to worry about the colour smudging! They all have a really nice scent, although to me the toffee one smells more like chocolate and I love the comic book style packaging and the fact they all have their own design but are all similar if that makes any sense! The other two flavours are Pink Berry and Strawberry and they are all £3 which I think is a bargain given how well they work. 

Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover


 One of the things I hate about most nail polish removers is the fact they are such a faff to use- you have to get cotton wool and pour it out, you always use too much and they all smell awful. This nail polish remover solves all of those problems. There's a sponge inside and you just stick your finger in and twist it about and the polish is gone pretty quick (although normally not in the 1 second that the bottle claims!) and the red fruit and vanilla smell left on your hands is quite sweet, unless you try and smell the product in the bottle and it smells just the same as any other nail polish remover! The only issues I really have with this product is I'm not entirely sure how you know how much is left and it's not the best at removing glitter nail polishes but then again, most regular nail polish removers have issues with them too. It is quite expensive for a nail polish remover at £4.99 for only 75ml but I'm willing to pay that for the speed and less hassle that this provides when removing nail polish. 

Nails Inc London Pinkie Pink Nail Polish Supporting Breast Cancer Campaign
This is a gorgeous pink glitter polish, with the idea being to paint your pinkie finger nail with this colour to show your support for the Breast Cancer Campaign that ran during the month of October. Nails Inc donated £1 from the sale of every bottle to the campaign and I thought that this was a really great idea for such a good cause. The price is a little steep at £11 a bottle but then most Nails Inc polishes are around this price. Unlike with most glitter polishes, I felt that there was a good ammount of glitter with the application- I didn't feel that the glitter was staying in the bottle rather than making it onto my nails so this makes the price tag a little easier to deal with and I'm pretty sure that most of the Nails Inc glitter polishes are like this. The one problem I did find was that if you apply the nail polish too thickly it can peel off easily but when I reapplied it with thinner coats, it didn't happen again. Also if I remember correctly, there is a 10 or 20% discount code available to first time customers on the Nails Inc website, it should come up automatically the first time you enter the site and then just put in your email address and they send the code to you. 

Here's some more information about the Pinkie Pink Campaign =) 

Broadway Nails Impress Press On Manicure
(D090 Space Cadet)


 I first used these after receiving them in a GlossyBox (I'm not sure which month it was but they were in the design 'Over The Moon' which is sort of maroon with a gold flowery design) and these are now my third box. They're self adhesive nails but they feel more like a very thick plastic than your typical hard but thin plastic fake nails which I much prefer. They come in lots of different colours and designs so there's something to suit everyone and they cost around £7.99-£8.99 I think. They're good for speed of doing your nails, especially if you want a cool design but don't have the time or artistic skills needed to make it look amazing and I like that the packaging is similar to a nail polish bottle so you could store it with your regular polishes and it wouldn't look out of place. The main problems I have is that they claim to last for up to a week but within a few days mine were starting to fall off. I managed to make them stick on for about four days before they gave up and wouldn't stick again but that was with a lot of hand washing and contact with water which would have affected their staying power. Also the sizes of the nails can be a bit difficult to work with- you might find only a couple of nails to fit each finger with lots of spares that are either too big or too small. I ended up butchering one of the larger nails to fit when one of mine fell off and I couldn't find another of the right size. I would definitely use these again but probably more for a party or special occasion, rather than for everyday wear! 

So, those were my favourite products from October... I wonder what I'll be loving this month! What have some of your faves been? =)

Lauren xx


No comments:

Post a Comment